Mystic's Transit Fan Network!

The Source that's made by and created for Montreal Transit Fans and beyond!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Hey, y'all!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:30 pm 

Displaced West Island kid now living quite a bit further south (though you'd never know if from the freezing rain we are getting today :( ). Rode for hours and hours on my $7 student CAM when CTCUM service finally went island-wide in 1980.

Current transit obsession is the Montreal streetcar network with special interest in the era up to and including the formation of the Montreal Tramways Company.

Peter

Post subject: Re: Hey, y'all!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Displaced West Island kid now living quite a bit further south (though you'd never know if from the freezing rain we are getting today :( ). Rode for hours and hours on my $7 student CAM when CTCUM service finally went island-wide in 1980.

Current transit obsession is the Montreal streetcar network with special interest in the era up to and including the formation of the Montreal Tramways Company.

Peter
Well, you can call this forum your little piece of Montreal.

It's a shame that there aren't more photos or documents about the beginnings of the Montreal Tramway Company. I've read all the books in the library, and they all seem to get their info from the same sources.

There is a historic library of public transit in Montreal, though it's not accessible to the public, the STM has posted various tidbits of info on their Facebook page and on their main site http://www.stm.info .

BTW: Have you ever been to Exporail on the south shore of Montreal, they have several examples of Montreal streetcars, some are still operational and they give visitors rides around their property.

Here are a few videos I took over the last few years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRSH7_526Ew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHQuH1_dJ7Q
You can see the streetcar pass around 2 minutes in.

Post subject: Re: Hey, y'all!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:13 pm 

Quote:
BTW: Have you ever been to Exporail on the south shore of Montreal, they have several examples of Montreal streetcars, some are still operational and they give visitors rides around their property.
I was there a few times when I still lived in Montreal (i.e. long before it was Exporail). Long enough ago, in fact, that I rode behind the CN gas-electric car (15824?), the Japanese replica steam engine, and on MSR 350 (on different visits, I think). We visited in 2006 and rode MTC 1959 which had on the rollsign whichever the short-turn car was that went out Wellington St ... 58? 60? ... in front of where my Mom grew up. So, yes, been there, liked it, plan to visit again next time I'm there.

Have poked some at STM's history site. They must have someone there who is into the history because what they do have online is pretty good.

Peter